Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Things You Don't Tell People

I'm settling with the idea that this blog has become a tell-all for the chronically ill. Thanks to those of you who have messaged me with encouraging words and similar stories. It helps to know we are not alone. I think sometimes the things I share may be too personal, and this post especially so.

In the spirit of continuing to share the gory details, I want to talk about the side-effects of medications. I can't speak for anyone else, but it is without question the single most frustrating and isolating thing about being chronically ill. Unless you've been on the long ride through medication overload, this post will seem like a series of excuses, complaints, whining, and over-exaggeration. People say to me all the time, "Oh, I forget things too - that's just because you're getting older/busier/more relaxed."

Can I just say this is tantamount to telling a chemo patient that sometimes your stomach hurts too? Just because the side-effect is invisible doesn't make it any less a medical struggle than the visible ones. You may think we're mulling over nothing, but we know. In our heads, we know there is a disorganization and loss of ability to concentrate that didn't exist last year, last month, last week. We can tell it's getting worse. And it's not because we're too busy, or don't care. It's because we're drugged.

The fact is, that beta-blockers and two other drugs I (and most heart patients) take cause short term-memory loss, fatigue, and somnolence (a near-sleep state). Add to that the fluid retention and consequent diuretics (both of them) which can leave you alternately bloated and brain-fuzzy, or dehydrated and twitchy several times in the same day, and you've got a real cocktail for memory loss. If a medication makes someone vomit or pass out, no one would dare say to them, "Yeah, sometimes I throw up and get light-headed too." They are having an obvious and abnormal reaction to medication. But drugs that cause forgetfulness and loss of focus are more subtle. People try to commiserate because "I sometimes forget my keys too." It simply waves away the struggle that the medicated person has while they fight desperately to hold on to coherent thoughts, as well as fight the constant dread that they've forgotten something horribly important and will pay the consequences for it later.

I got lost three times this week driving to a friend's house that I've been to at least two dozen times in the last year. I'll spare you other examples, but it's scary to know that a 12 minute trip just took you 35 because you can't remember where to turn. Maybe normal people do that, but I got lost almost everywhere I went this week. My GPS is on the fritz and just the trip to pick Christie up from work at the Med Center (where I've been a hundred times) was so mentally draining I was sick to my stomach afterwards.

The isolation happens like this: (topropl dependents are already nodding their heads)

1. You forget things. All the time. Typically important things. Yet your head is filled with nonsense minutiae about every stupid TV show you've ever seen, or sports stats, or in my case, music history. Yet, I can't remember an important financial conversation with my wife yesterday. I can regale you with the specs of Chris Squire's bass rigs throughout the 30 year history of Yes' career, but I'm hard pressed to remember your response to an urgent question I e-mailed you 20 minutes ago. This is short-term memory loss. And the harder I to try to pound something into my head, the more likely it seems to slip out.

2. The people around you are at first sympathetic, then grudgingly accepting of your forgetfulness. But that soon turns to mild frustration and what I call "hand-holding." Over time, peers begin to treat you as a ward, or a child that needs to be reminded to bring his wallet, his keys, of what time things are taking place, of what you should bring...and you don't notice any of this at first. In fact, you are grateful because you need reminding. Even though you wrote it down, made a list, and looked at your calender just this morning, by the time you finished making breakfast, the whole thing is just gone, removed from your head. It's especially troubling when your own children have to take on this roll - retrieving forgotten pill bottles, running interference so you don't lock yourselves out of the house, constantly reminding you of the day's events and times. The roles become reversed. Friends who can gently help you along without viewing you as less an adult are valued more highly than gold.

3. People's perception of you begins to change. No matter how organized, on-the-ball, and sharp you used to be, you now seem flaky, behind-the-curve, always playing catch-up. This is honestly the absolute worst part. It sends the inadvertent, and untrue message that you simply don't care. That the conversation, or email, or event just wasn't important enough to hold your attention or to be remembered. That message is further driven home when you demonstrate the ability to remember insignificant details about other, less important things. But you can't pick and choose what is remembered and what is forgotten. The beta blockers do that for you. Every great once in awhile I forget the title of the 7th track on Rush's Presto album. But I'm more likely to forget my own birthday, directions, times, and conversations. See? It sounds like an excuse bank for being late and irresponsible.

I used to be the opposite of all that. People who didn't know me previous to my illness will never believe it, so far to the other side of the spectrum have I slid. My mind has betrayed me. Moments of clarity are cherished as I try in vain to figure out how to replicate whatever it is that caused it. But it's random. The next moment my mind is so tired that I can't remember what I was trying to figure out. I use the Luminosity website religiously in hopes it will keep an edge on on cognitive skills and attention span, but statistically, I'm only marginally ahead of people ten years older than me.

Random really does become the lifestyle. Do I show up on time? Randomly. Will I remember that we agreed to meet/discuss/cancel/postpone/bring xyx? Randomly. Will I remember the email or text that I read 4 times in desperation to burn it into my brain? Randomly.

I try to be at peace with this but there is simply no way to be at peace with standing people up, forgetting important information about your family and friends, or at peace with a growing reputation for instability, flighty-ness, and in-attention. I feel stupid and slow and most of all isolated. Because it is the prime invisible factor of my heart disease that is summarily dismissed as being normal or an excuse for personality defects. It is exhausting to find new words to excuse the same behavior. And others tire of hearing it, like I used to tire of the excuses of the addicts and alcoholics that crossed through my life during my ministry years. I want to change, but it's beyond any amount of willpower or resolve. The ability to do better disappears as surely and frequently as the pills down my throat every morning. I am not me anymore - I am buried under this fog of numb half-awareness, trying to get it together. I know what's happening in my mind, but I don't have the energy to continually express it to others.

Several transplant friends have warned me of this. I didn't believe them until about a year ago. I thought my life had become too busy. But my meds had increased, and they have increased again a year later. They told me to prepare for skepticism, exasperation, and much eye-rolling over forgotten appointments, mixed up calendars, lost valuables, and confusion. It is subtle and slow, but pushes you into yourself and you begin to see yourself as others do - a space cadet, unable to manage his own schedule and commitments. Part of the solution is to stop making commitments, a whole separate issue which I'll address in my next post.

There was something else I wanted to say here, but I forget.

5 comments:

  1. Side effects suck. Forgetfulness sucks. Being flaky really sucks.

    And, like you've said, you have to prioritize and say "no" to some things - pick what you're most committed to or what you care about most or what's most important and reserve energy for that (like that time you reserved your energy for your music buddy over book club ;) Heheheh). I say just own it. Don't make excuses. Don't delineate everything. Just tell people, "I'm doing X and not Y." Like boundaries. Because the problem with excuses is they can be remedied. Solutions can be offered. Then the person making excuses gets aggravated and feels misunderstood. When if they were to just say, "I'm doing X because I don't WANT to do Y," well, there's nothing to argue, solve, remedy. It is what it is.

    (Like when my mother gives excuses for not visiting when we all know she simply doesn't want to - when she says she has appointments, people can say, "Move them!" and when she says she's got to teach Sunday school, people can say, "Get a sub!" But if she were to just say, "I don't want to," there's no arguing with that.) Own. Your. Crap.

    But yeah, you can't choose people's reactions and people might get aggravated or stop trying. It sucks, but the best you can do is lay it out (like you have), be straight up with people, and hope for the best.

    We've been friends with you guys for years and we've seen the forgetfulness and know that you struggle to keep up or remember things. Sure, it sucks sometimes, but that's life. It also sucked when my dad's Parkinson's slowed him down when we really would've loved it if he were up to doing more. What are you going to do? Just make the best of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all leading up to one of the main thoughts I had when reading this - beware the self-fulfilling prophecy/enabling friend syndrome. It's one thing to be warned of something and see it come to pass - it happens, especially with sickness, physical or emotional. But it's another to buy into something and make it so or, perhaps worse, shrug one's shoulders and say, "It's the disease. Nothing I can do about it!" There's a fine line between acceptance/feeling validated and giving in.

    When I was dealing with debilitating depression, I looked to online bulletin boards and found others who were also dealing with similar symptoms and issues. I was RELIEVED when I found people who were uttering my thoughts, my worries, my pain, my frustrations, my concerns. I had found others who GOT IT!

    And it was great at first. They would post those "things never to say to a depressed person" lists and we'd all commiserate about how we'd all heard every one of those items on the list. We'd swap stories and share aggravations and support each other in what we were all experiencing.

    The thing is, after a while, I started noticing that many of the people I was meeting who had what I had started to use the condition as a crutch and the forum/group/whatever was just exacerbating that. Instead of it being a place for validation, yes, but also a forum for *solutions,* it became a whine fest. And everyone felt justified. I started to sense that, for me, I needed to get out of there. I needed to be careful. The validation was great at first, but I wanted to get better and do my best to live a fulfilling, happy life. (Some) people on there were content to be stuck. And I wanted to be careful to not become one of them. Where were the people who had moved on and not bought in? They'd left (go figure).

    So all I'm saying is while it's fine to learn stuff and feel validated, you can either get stuck there or decide (as much as you can, of course) to not be status quo. To not get stuck. To not stop at being validated and then use things others say as a crutch. Some of it may be unavoidable. But if there's anything in your power to change, beware the self-fulfilling prophecies and getting stuck.

    I know that one I hear you guys say a lot is that "someone" told you that friendship becomes very one-way. While OF COURSE as you get worse, it's going to be increasingly important to focus on your health and your family and not "be there" as much for others, you don't have to buy into it immediately or throw your hands in the air and think you're already there. There are still plenty of ways for you to "give back" as you can. Even a quick text lets friends know you're thinking about them. ANY effort, no matter how small, is appreciated by others who care. The "prophecies" can quickly become cop outs.

    I see this with people with depression, anxiety, personality disorders. I see it with people with Parkinson's and other life-altering diseases. I see it with all kinds of issues. People start "acting as if" the situation is already as dire as it may eventually be, before they even get there! They give up early. And it affects them emotionally and psychologically, which in turn affects them physically. So just be careful of that. It's insidious.

    Okay, that'll be $70 for that unsolicited counseling session. :P Seriously, I think it's great that you're tracking your journey and it's important to discuss all the aspects. I just cringe when I see people getting stuck or buying into stuff that keeps them back from living their best life. Not saying that you said that - just a word of warning.

    You've forgotten everything I just said, haven't you. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victimhood! That was the word I was thinking of. I couldn't come up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that makes sense. I think the hard thing for me is actually accepting the reality of where I am from one change to the next. In my mind, I'm as functional and together as I was three years ago. But then things happen that wake me up to the reality that I'm very far from there. I generally don't buy the hype - people use illness as an excuse for laziness so often and I've been able to counter that pretty successfully up to this point. A few years ago I heard these things about friendships and isolation and I couldn't fathom how it would ever come to that. Now that I have less control and can't just "push on through," the things they warned me about are coming to pass, little by little. The novelty of being sick wears off for people - they get tired of the hassle and being around someone who just never feels good and can't hide it anymore. I would too.

    The thing about excuses is that what often sounds like an excuse is a valid reason, but it's outside the experience of others, so they assume you're being flaky. I can't count how many times people have given me the eye-roll because I tell them it's too hot or cold for me to do something. I even had someone say, "If you don't want to do it, just say so." Because it *does* sound like a lame excuse. So does, "I didn't sleep well," and, "I was on my feet a lot yesterday." In any other context, we tell people to suck it up and quit making excuses. Saying, "I don't want to," causes most people to take it personally. You find yourself choosing which you'd rather endure - the eye rolls and subsequent reputation for being a flake, or hurting people's feelings. Pick your poison.

    I rarely if ever hang out on message boards for health stuff - it's depressing and I find I have very little in common with most people, mainly because of the way they handle the challenges. I don't think many of them are even objectively conscious of the things going on around them or in their relationships because they are *so* self-focused. I don't need the negativity. I mostly hear these things from one or two post-transplant friends who are looking back on their experience with the benefit of hindsight. That's way more productive and valuable to me than getting bogged down in the misery of the ones who are going through it presently and not doing it well. It's more encouraging as well.

    ReplyDelete