Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thank You Fallenttinme Be Mice Elf, Agin

Now for something a little lighter: Sly and the Family Stone is one of the first bands (along with the Jackson 5) that I remember seeing on live television. I'm so glad my dad was a Willie and Waylon fan and introduced me to Herb Alpert, Barbara Mandrell, Ray Stevens, and so many other artists. But I also have a deep appreciation and love for Soul music, and in my opinion S&FS is one of the greatest bands in history. Larry Graham practically invented slap bass. It was the perfect combination of rock, funk, and R&B. I remember seeing this performance at a friend's house when I was about 7 or 8 and the song stuck in my head until I was old enough to seek out their cassettes for myself. It was one of those defining moments that opened up an entire new world to me and made me unafraid to enjoy "black" music later in life. I can't imagine never listening to Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Public Enemy, BooYah Tribe, The Commodores, Parliment, Luther Vandross, Aretha, Mary J. Blige, Missy Elliot, TLC, and so many, many other artists that have not only tickled my musical palette, but broadened my worldview. 

So here's a song for all of you who read regularly - my thanks for caring enough to pay attention. Take it away, Sly!




P.S. That's the legendary Sid Page on violin, and though he's in the background here, Larry Graham remains my all time favorite bass player, right behind Chris Squire (from Yes). 

4 comments:

  1. Ah happy memories. I saw Yes in Barnstaple, Devon in 1970. And now you've sent me on a nostalgia journey! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh oh! You MUST listen to Harry Connick Jr.'s "She" album!! Funny story. I fell in love with Harry Connick and his big band when I was in college (that's where I was introduced to him). A couple of years into my college experience, I went to see him in an outdoor concert with a bunch of other girls. I was expecting Harry in a nice suit, his big band, and a whole lot of standards. Instead, it was Harry in black jeans and a t-shirt (!!!) and a whole lot of FUNK!! It was NOT what I expected at all, so admittedly, I was kind of disappointed, but as time as gone on, despite "She" not being one of his more popular or famous albums, I have grown to LOVE it. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just listened to the samples on amazon and bought it. I had no idea he could do that so well, and the band is incredible. Can't wait to listen to it. Maybe on the drive to Annville!

    nickie - didn't know you were a Yes fan. I keep thinking I'm tired of Chris Squire and then I pull out an old Yes album (or listen to a new one) and he just continually blows me away. He's technically great, but also just so much fun to listen to - a drummer's dream bass player to jam with. I wish he got more credit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could listen to that album a number of times on your way to Annville! YOU SHOULD BE HERE!

    I think Stacy already told you about "Star Turtle," but also consider HCJ's "Oh My NOLA" for some New Orleans-style funk/jazz.

    ReplyDelete