Tuesday, February 18, 2014

On The Inside

Being in the hospital for a week isn't all bad. I've been playing a lot of games, mixing some songs I've been working on at home, and catching up on my reading. Yesterday, my Valentine (Mark Foley) brought me sushi for lunch and hung out for a while until it started getting busy. We don't get to hang out just the two of us as much as we'd like, so it was really great to just chill out with him. I didn't take pictures because my phone keeps dying while looking for a cell signal and also sushi nom nom nom.
The best window view from my unit. The window has a nice, wide
windowsill and when it's not too cold, I like to sit up there and read.




On the other hand, this has been a really tough visit so far. Friday, Christie started having what we thought were back spasms. Turns out (after a visit to the ER later that night) she was passing a kidney stone. In the process of examining her, they found a polyp in her gallbladder, which means she needs to have the organ removed, posthaste. She's having an MRI today and meeting with a surgeon tomorrow to discuss biopsy. Hopefully it's just a run-of-the-mill gallbladder problem. We're not yet sure how it's going to work out if they want to do the surgery this week. Though it needs to be done quickly, with me being in the hospital, the scheduling could get dicey. To make matters worse, she finally has an interview this week on the cardio unit where I stay, after six months of toughing it out in a difficult assignment on a medical/surgical floor. Hopefully that won't be jepordized in the mix.

As always, people from our awesome homeschool group and other friends are helping with the kids, the dog, the snow shoveling, and someone even took Christie to the grocery store and back the other day. We're so glad that we're not going through this craziness in Springfield, MA where we barely knew anyone. In all the uncertainty, it's comforting to be surrounded by people who jump in and help where it's needed.

As for me, several people were taken a back by my recovery room picture, but I'm only like that for a few hours. Once I'm on the cardiology ward, I'm up and around, walking, scrounging for food, and making a general nuisance of myself.

Me and Dr. Doodaa. See? I'm not in a coma. He also got a new hat yesterday and thinks he looks very spiffy. 
I can't remember, but I may have mentioned the food here isn't the greatest. In fact, I'd rather eat feet.

This is the menu you receive each day so you can select
your meals. I will give you $100 right now if you
can find a single item pictured down there in that kitchen.

Great question. What IS on my plate? The CDC is supposed to be
getting back to me on that soon.
We decided after my last stay that we would freeze extra meals at home for my hospital stays. It relieves Christie of having to cook during such a busy week, and she brings me enough every few days that I'm not forced to eat whatever that is on my plate. I keep a little cooler in the room with real fruit drinks, yogurt and fruit, and some single serving meals to heat up.


Blue ice keeps everything cold and the nurses help me change it out every day or so.
The food situation poses other temptations that I'm slowly but surely giving into. I'm not allowed to leave the unit. That is a new rule instituted since some genius wandered down to the cafeteria and stepped on the cord to his swan catheter, effectively spurting blood all over the room and all the way back up to the unit. Tim Conway and Dan Akroyd would have been proud. I mean, the cafeteria probably has enough trouble keeping customers as it is without a Wes Craven floor show in the middle of lunch. 

Yet, the patients take hope in the whispered rumors of a mysterious room where untold culinary wonders are locked away from those who would seek to plunder its treasures. Though heavily guarded, I was able to sneak a picture of the supposed location of this room.

Forgive the blurriness, I had to act swiftly as the guards nurses were eying me suspiciously when I lingered.
Patients tell tales of ice cream, cold whole milk, endless cans of Ocean Spray juices and ginger ale, and sometimes, if the conditions are right, turkey sandwiches made from animals that were in fact actually turkeys to begin with. While the contents remain firmly in the realm of myth and legend, prophecies speak of One who will eventually breach the barrier and open the way for all to partake of the coveted bounty within. Until He comes, we wait.

Cabin fever sets in at times. Late at night I often open the door to the unit and stand in the hallway out of spite. It's empty - I obviously don't want to risk catching some nasty germ in a crowd and carrying it back into the cardio ward. But at night, it's quiet and peaceful out there and this small act of rebellion helps me make it through the week.

It's like a portal to another world. See the lights shining beyond? Can you hear the angelic music?
That's all for now. Much anxiety here about Christie's situation but hopefully we find something out tomorrow. I'll post here when we know.

4 comments:

  1. What does the blurry sign say? I didn't know the Room of Requirement had signage?

    The story about the genius who spurted blood all over the cafeteria . . . I almost gagged.

    Your boys are here and happy and well, but I gotta tell you - your youngest is playing some kind of Pac-man game that plays an endless 5-second loop of theme music. TOO SHORT for that kind of loop. I might go insane . . .

    Seriously, they're super happy and we have donuts. All is well. :)

    I hope Christie gets good news soon. You guys are about due!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CDC is currently using all rooms secure enough to process Anthrax and Smallpox, so the analysis on your meal will have to wait.

    I'd be careful of heading toward the light. It could be a trap. Or a poorly-developed alternative dimension in a series of unaired episodes of "Lost."

    Ditto on Christie and her news. We all hope it's the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://cdn3.nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Star-Wars-painting-2.jpg

    Ah man. Such troopers!

    ReplyDelete